Affordable and low carbon housing Nightingale 1.0 - Breathe Architecture: Photo: Peter Clarke The outcomes report from this event is now available HERE
Low income families throughout Australia often live in homes that have poor energy efficiency and thermal comfort, with the potential to lead to significant health impacts. Combined with the exponential rise in national energy prices, low income and vulnerable residents often report having to choose between paying for fuel and purchasing essential items like food or medication.
Kellie Caught, Senior Advisor at the Australian Council of Social Service, and Dr Matthew Soeberg, Manager Sustainable Homes, Sustainability Victoria will deliver keynote addresses at this National Forum, which is presented by the CRCLCL Research Node of Excellence at the University of Wollongong. This National Forum seeks to generate a better understanding of the energy-related challenges faced by low income households in our community and how to provide them with affordable, energy efficient homes.
The Forum offers the opportunity to explore a range of issues and solutions including:
• The provision of cost effective, decentralised, renewable energy generation for low income households - from private home owners through to social housing tenants
• New-build construction and retrofit solutions to improve energy efficiency in low income homes
• The positive health impacts of low carbon, energy efficient homes demonstrated through initiatives such as the Victorian Healthy Homes and NSW Government Programs
• Policy approaches and dialogue with a wide range of stakeholders such as; energy providers, community health workers, tenant support groups, technical experts and academics
• Impacts of existing and proposed energy policies on low income households, such as voluntary/mandatory building efficiency disclosure, tariff structures and safety nets
• Energy justice and equity for low income tenants, home buyers and renters.
READ THE PROGRAM HERE
READ THE BRIEFING PAPER
To access presentations from the event click HERE
Read the final event report HERE
What: CRC for Low Carbon Living National Forum: Low Carbon Homes for Low-Income Households
When: 10am – 5.30pm, Wednesday, 8 August 2018
Where: Ocean Rooms, The Central, Innovation Campus, University of Wollongong, Squires Way, North Wollongong, NSW 2500